Once upon a time you went back to work and lived happily ever after, juggling your work and family responsibilities with ease and grace until your kids left home. Then you rejoiced in your newfound freedom and travelled the world and hosted adults only dinner parties and grew old and died. The End.
Nowadays there are many different ways this story can continue after maternity leave ends. The decisions about whether to return to work and when (if ever) can be complex and depend on a number of factors including desire, ambition, finances and childcare availability.
In Australia more mothers than ever before are active in the workforce (53.4%) and have post-school qualifications (51.5%) (ABS, 2016 Census).
Here are some alternate endings (or new beginnings) to consider when creating your own fairytale:
- You start freaking out that the time with your baby is coming to an end and convince yourself, your other half and your employer to let you extend your maternity leave. They all agree and you give a sigh of relief (for another few weeks/months/years before you come back to choosing an alternate ending).
- You start freaking out that the time with your baby is coming to an end and convince yourself and your family that you’re better suited to being a stay at home mum and you resign from your job. After awhile you might have the desire to #beyourownboss and you have a brilliant business idea or wish you had one.
- You start freaking out that the time with your baby is coming to an end and resign from your job because you have an awesome business idea and really just want to #beyourownboss so you can have the flexibility and freedom to be the mum you want to be.
- You return to your career part-time and also have a great business idea that you start working on so you can one day resign from your job and #beyourownboss and have the flexibility and freedom to be the mum you want to be.
- You return to your career part-time or full-time and feel completely fulfilled in all aspects of your life. Yes this really happens. Sometimes. True story.
- You return to your career part-time or full-time and resent the demands of your job that make it impossible for you to be the mum you want to be. You wish you had an awesome business idea, like Boost Juice or Red Balloon, so you can quit your job and #beyourownboss and never miss another sports day or school event ever again.
Which boat are you in?
What will YOU choose?
Remember it’s never too late to make a different choice.
If you’ve returned to work and you’re dreaming of being your own boss so you can have the flexibility and freedom you need to be the mum you want to be then keep reading.
If you have a strong desire to be your own boss, the good news is you don’t have to have a unique and amazing business idea to make this your reality. You can enjoy the freedom and flexibility of earning money from home when you start your doTERRA business. Without having to worry about making, stocking and shipping the products (which can be an expensive and time-consuming part of a traditional product based business). doTERRA does all that for you!
For more information about the earning potential with doTERRA it’s all here.
So what are the “pre-requisites” for starting your doTERRA business? There aren’t any official ones but since I added doTERRA products to my business I’ve thought of a few:
- Genuine interest in health and wellness, both your own and helping others to achieve their goals
- Desire and ability to meet new people either in person or online to educate them about essential oils
- Perseverance to keep going and doing your thing. This is a long term business strategy, not a get rich quick scheme.
- Be an action taker – this business won’t run itself. You have to be consistently taking action to build it over time.
- Be willing and able to invest approximately $150/month in your business and yourself.
If you’re still reading this and you thought “yes, that’s me and I can see myself doing that” then send me an email and we can chat about your options further and you can ask me any questions you might have about this genuine business opportunity.
If you’re still reading and you thought “nah, that’s not for me but I’m interested in finding out more about essential oils” then come and join my free Facebook group here or attend one of my free intro classes. More info here.